Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Classroom Management Linky Party ~ UPDATED!!!!!!
One of my favorite blogs, Miss Kindergarten, is having a Linky Party! I love them. I get so much great information from teachers that link up. Now that I have a blog, I feel cool enough to join in the fun!
I have been teaching for 8 years now, going on my 9th. (Wow. I feel O.L.D.) Classroom management has typically been an issue of mine that I needed to work on, until I found the Clip Chart on ProTeacher. OMG. I started off my year in my K-2 Self Contained classroom using the typical red, green, yellow system. I found it wasn't working well with my kids, so over my maternity leave I found the Clip Chart on ProTeacher and decided it NEEDED TO BE.
My chart is formatted like this:
Outstanding
Great Job
Good Day
Ready To Learn
Think About It
Teachers Choice
Parent Contact/Principal's Office
My students always start the day with their clips on green. I use plastic, magnetic bag clips from the dollar store and I write their names on them in Sharpie. This year I think I'm going to use clothespins. When the students make good choices, they move their clip up the chart. If they make bad choices, their clip moves down. They have to move the clip themselves, which is emotionally very difficult for them. If they refuse to move it and a teacher has to do it, it goes down TWO spots (dun, dun, dunnnn). This usually gets them to move it. I try to enforce that being on Think About It is not a bad thing, but they really have a hard time with that.
Next year, I am going to spend a LOT more time explaining what makes a clip move up and what makes a clip move down. Like I said, I still need to work on classroom management. I love this system though, because it has worked magically with my kids. They see that their good behavior is rewarded and there is a consequence for bad behavior. I am also starting a Hall of Fame. When the kids get to Outstanding, I will give them a sparkly sticker for their clip and they will be able to add their name to the Behavior Hall of Fame. I made a cute sign for it on my work laptop so I can't share it at this exact moment, but I think it's on my USB drive. I'll share it when I find it!!
**UPDATE: HERE is my my parent communication sheet. I based it off of one I found at Mrs. Smith's Classroom website. The star gets colored the color the kids landed on the clip chart that day. I added a space for teacher comments, as their behaviors require explanation at times. This is also a good system for me to document their behaviors and keep track of improvements or backsliding in behavior. I keep them in their student folders at the end of each month. The parents LOVE them and they love that they can quickly glance at their child's behavior sheet and see how they did that day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I also use this but it is on a stick, so I can take it with us wherever we go! i AM GOING TO TRY TO LINK UP- I have no idea how to do this!! LOL
ReplyDeleteI just started using this in my summer school class and it has worked wonders! I have found that plastic clothespins work better than the wood ones, they don't snap as easily! Thanks so much for linking up!
ReplyDeleteHadar
Mrs. Voss - How do you have it on a stick? That's a fantastic idea!
ReplyDeleteI really like your parent communication chart...I have been trying a few different versions...think yours may work perfectly!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks! The parents really love it, honestly. I have gotten nothing but positive feedback, so I am grateful to have found Mrs. Smith's website! I based it off of hers, and it's almost exactly the same but made it fit my classroom's needs.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting this. I tweaked your sheet to fit the clips for my class. But I love it and I have been trying to figure out how to do a behavior report but you have already done one for me. Thanks so much.:)
ReplyDeleteLOVE your behavior report!! I had that on my list of "to do's" for this summer and so glad that I stumbled upon your blog. I was wondering if there is anyway you could email me a version that I could edit as my colors are different from yours. Everything else fits perfectly. katie.libberton@fsd145.org. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI will definitely see what I can do! I'm on vacation right now so I will email you when I get home!
ReplyDeletedo you let the students move their clips or do you? Also if they move them what consequence do you do if they are not honest?
ReplyDelete