About Me

My photo
I have been teaching for 10 years, all of them in special education. I started as a consultant teacher at 7th grade, and then moved to a self-contained classroom for 4 years. I am now back at the upper levels as a consultant teacher and am looking forward to a new adventure at this grade level.

Blog Archive

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Things We Say Linky Party

Christina at Mrs. Bainbridge's Class is having a super fun linky party!!!

We've all got those "things" that we say.  What is something you always say to your students?  Maybe it's something cute that you love... or maybe it's something that you heard them start to say to each other that made you go "uh oh!".
Law, I say so many things! (And yes, I just finished reading The Help and "law" is now a regular part of my vocabulary.)

1. "Are you in charge?" when my little friends tell each other what to do.
2. "Seriously?" 

3. This one is my favorite: "Are you dying? Are you bleeding? Is someone throwing up? Do I need to take you to the hospital? No? Ok then don't tattle." Yeah, I'm mean, but I try to teach them not to tattle on someone unless someone is seriously hurt or going to be hurt as a result.
4. "I'm changing my name and I'm not telling you what my new name is!" when they keep calling my name over and over and over...this REALLY made one of my kids mad last year!! She didn't have much of a sense of humor.

Go to Christina's site and link up!

2 comments:

  1. Had to laugh at #3. I ask my kids "Are you dying? Bleeding? Broken? Is anyone else dying? Bleeding? Broken? Is anyone in danger of dying? Bleeding? Being broken?"

    I know it is long, but by the end, all of the kids are giggling and whatever was going to be tattled about has been forgotten. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used something similar to your #3! Usually when they tattle, I listen to them, but when they're done, I ask, "What would you like me to do about it?" and "Do you want (insert name) to get in trouble?" They look at me like I'm crazy for a second. Then, I explain that if I am not to do anything about it, or the other kid shouldn't get in trouble, it's a tattle and not a "tell." Some still don't get it!

    ReplyDelete