About Me

My photo
I have been teaching for 10 years, all of them in special education. I started as a consultant teacher at 7th grade, and then moved to a self-contained classroom for 4 years. I am now back at the upper levels as a consultant teacher and am looking forward to a new adventure at this grade level.

Blog Archive

Monday, September 26, 2011

Guided Reading + Free ABC Book

Last year I found the book, The Next Step In Guided Reading by Jan Richardson. It saved my guided reading life! It breaks lessons down into manageable parts, and it was exactly what I needed. Read this book!




So some of my kids are REALLY low. This book has a section for Pre-A level kids and I found the topics to be *ding, ding* exactly what I needed! Fancy that! I plan on starting guided reading tomorrow, so I made a ABC tracing book for my kinders to work on.
My hero Jan says, "Students who cannot identify at least 40 upper - and lowercase letters in the alphabet (counting both uppercase and lowercase letters), should trace an alphabet book with a tutor every day." This leads to better alphabet knowledge and helps the students with concept knowledge.
Click here to get your own ABC book. The directions are on the front cover. Hopefully you will find it useful!

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love this book too! Our principal gave this book to all of the teachers and is asking us to read it. I love the lesson plan templates and lesson ideas!

    I have quite a few pre-A students as well, and I've tried the ABC tracing book too. What do you think of it? I'm not sure if I was doing it correctly, but it seemed like my students got distracted with the tracing when they were saying the letter and sound. Tracing, sound, and letter were too much for them! I found that using flashcards to drill the letters and sounds seems to be much better for them... and then I can mix up the flashcards so they aren't in order. I feel like I've seen much more success with using flashcards than ABC books... what do you think? Have you seen a lot of success with this technique?

    LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete