About Me

My photo
I have been teaching for 10 years, all of them in special education. I started as a consultant teacher at 7th grade, and then moved to a self-contained classroom for 4 years. I am now back at the upper levels as a consultant teacher and am looking forward to a new adventure at this grade level.

Blog Archive

Thursday, October 27, 2011

New Reading Plan

So I mentioned that I gave up on the Daily 5 reading structure. I felt that my students weren't doing enough literacy activities and were not engaged in their learning. So I found a post on someone elses blog about how she created Reading Tubs for her class, filled with different literacy activities. I took her idea and ran in a different direction. Having only 6 kids gives me a little advantage that I can differentiate quickly and easily, and on the individual level.

I created a Book Box checklist and put it in their book boxes. The checklist was made up of things they already knew how to do.
  • Word Work (sorting their words, rainbow writing, writing sentences with words, etc.)
  • Reading a book on Tumblebooks and completing a reading response sheet 
  • Reading books from their book box 
  • Practicing their sight words on sight word cards 
I put the necessary forms in their book boxes and told them they could do them in any order, and as long as all of them were done by Friday they would be all set. There are smiley faces for them to color in as soon as they finish an activity. I will give them a new checklist on Monday, as I am going to include Writing the Room as an additional activity.

I've only done this for 2 days but I have found them much more engaged with their learning. I think it helps them take ownership as well. They like having the choice of what to do and when they will do it. I have had a silent classroom for guided reading and I've been able to get all 3 guided reading groups in. Its a beautiful thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment