About Me

My photo
I have been teaching for 10 years, all of them in special education. I started as a consultant teacher at 7th grade, and then moved to a self-contained classroom for 4 years. I am now back at the upper levels as a consultant teacher and am looking forward to a new adventure at this grade level.

Blog Archive

Monday, March 12, 2012

I'm not Irish but....

I am kind of liking all the St Patrick's Day stuff out there now! I like bringing it into my classroom as well, and we made the cutest leprechauns today. I will take a picture tomorrow! They came out huge, but cute nonetheless. First we made these cute pots of gold I found on Pinterest.


They really brightened up my room!
Last week we went back to basics in writing and really practiced just writing sentences and worked on identifying what is a sentence and what is not a sentence. I realized we had to go there when some of their achievement testing showed that they could not take a group of words and make a sentence out of them. We started with this anchor chart:
We did a couple of worksheets and worked on our capitalization skills. Tomorrow we are going to star a story about catching a leprechaun. Today we made a super cute chart about leprechauns and I read the book Clever Tom and the Leprechaun. Of course I will take a picture of that too!

In math, my 2nd graders are working on geometry. Our common core lesson for the geometry unit for Envision was all about polygons. This was a tough one for my friends but I came up with some cute things to help them out. I had them build polygons out of popsicle sticks. Then I took them and made, what else, an anchor chart out of them!

With the leftover polygons they made, I had them make polygon people. They had to come up with an alliterative name and tell how many sides, angles and corners. They were SO cute!
Her name is Pentagon Princess and she's wearing a crown. HAHA!

They really understood afterwards, and are using the anchor chart just as it should be. Yay! One of my kids totally understands geometry and it's really neat to see her really getting into it. I loved geometry in school too!

In other news, I submitted my proposal to teach a continuing education reading course over the summer and I think I am going to apply to be a mentor teacher next year. Hopefully I'll be chosen! I think it will be a very positive experience if I get it.

1 comment: