About Me

My photo
I have been teaching for 10 years, all of them in special education. I started as a consultant teacher at 7th grade, and then moved to a self-contained classroom for 4 years. I am now back at the upper levels as a consultant teacher and am looking forward to a new adventure at this grade level.

Blog Archive

Monday, April 23, 2012

Common Core Crazy!!


This weekend I found some good pins on Pinterest that got me motivated to start thinking about my future with the common core standards. For example, I really liked this one of the anchor chart with the standards written right on it. So now I am going to start doing that!
So today, I started using my really awesome Common Core App from www.masteryconnect.com to go through my writing units and label them with the corresponding standard. It was pretty simple to do and I was darn proud of myself when I was able to do this:

Gooo me! Then I went to my reading binder that is full of lessons I printed out from the amazing site: www.readworks.org . I swear I am in love with that site. I just did the 1st and 2nd grade main idea units with my kids and it is so clear and their books are perfectly selected for the lessons. My kids really are showing their understanding and comprehension. It's just what I was looking for! Each of their lessons are aligned to either your states or the common core standards. All you have to do is click in the lesson and select your state or the common core to see the standard alignment. Then I created a scope and sequence according to theirs and added the corresponding standards for the units in a chart that I can stick in front of the binder, so I know exactly what standards I am addressing in each unit and not have to guess. I will have that as a freebie at the end of the post if anyone uses Read Works materials!
I am making sure to write down what I have common core aligned so I know for next year. Another project I tackled was organizing my teacher bookshelf. I am sick of staring at the titles, them falling over, and hunting for a book that I bought six canvas drawers, labeled them and sorted my books accordingly. I think I still need six more for the rest of the books but I love the way it looks right now!
And for your freebie - i present you with the document I made today to help with my reading comprehension units.
Read Works 1st Grade Scope and Sequence

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Common Core corelations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Readworks looks awesome! I would never have known about it without reading your post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently found readworks as well! Love love love! Your classroom sounds eerily similar to mine. I too had a principal tie yanker this year :) Do you have these resources available for K and 2? I adore your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG where were you at the beginning of the school year! This is my 2nd year teaching K-2 self-contained and I am in a constant struggle with what/how/when to teach concepts to my kiddos. Do you follow the extended curriculum standards? I have been writing those on my lesson plans because they seem easier, but truthfully none of it has made sense to me yet. I am desperately trying to get organized and find the best workable way to teach my kids. I have the higher functioning of the two K-2 classrooms at my school, most of my kids are on the spectrum. Any help you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated!

    ReplyDelete