This week has been crazy and I am definitely exhausted. We had training for Reading and Writing Workshop and aligning to the common core. It was a very valuable training and we focused on Interactive Read Aloud's during Readers Workshop for the most of the day. I was definitely lacking in this area, so I was grateful for all the plans that came out of it and I implemented it the next day!
I used the book Knuffle Bunny Too by Mo Willems (my kids ADORE Mo) and focused on problem and solution. Then I had the kids sequence the story into beginning, middle, end on the Smartboard with pictures, and then they identified the problem and solution again! Then I brought it into Writers Workshop, and had the kids think of personal narratives that included a problem and solution. It turned out pretty good! I was never good about tying the books together in both workshops, and this was helpful!
Next week we are going to use the book Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge and write about special memories and treasures we have. We will continue to think about problem and solution during our interactive read alouds.
If you haven't read it, its a super sweet and sad book about a little boy who lives next to an old folks home and his favorite person there has lost her memory. He goes and finds special objects to bring to her to help give her memories back. I kinda get choked up when I read it!
To help the kids with their writing, I made this graphic organizer to help them plan. It's scaffolded with sentence starters for my struggling writers. You can get one for yourself, which includes writing paper {here}
Friday, September 21, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment