About Me

My photo
I have been teaching for 10 years, all of them in special education. I started as a consultant teacher at 7th grade, and then moved to a self-contained classroom for 4 years. I am now back at the upper levels as a consultant teacher and am looking forward to a new adventure at this grade level.

Blog Archive

Thursday, July 21, 2011

I Will Survive Linky Party

Karla over at Life In Special Education is having a linky party to share crazy stories from your teaching experience. I teach Special Ed self-contained so I have a TON of wild experiences with my kids! Link up and share your funny/horrifying/embarrassing stories!

1) I have a bathroom in my classroom and my first year in the room, I was teaching science at my table. One of the girls asked to use the bathroom, and I said ok. Somehow between the table and the bathroom, she swiped a paper clip off my desk. After she came out of the bathroom, another little girl went in, and came right back out. "Mrs. Wyand?" she says. "There's something wrong with the lights...?" So I go in there, and find the paperclip stuck in the lightswitch and the entire bathroom dark because the first girl blew the lights!!!! I had her go to the nurse to be checked out to make sure she had not been electrocuted, and the janitor had to come and pull out the paperclip, which was all black and singed. Sigh.

2) This past year, I had a little lady with some severe behavior issues. She couldn't keep it together for a full day in the beginning of the year. One day she got upset about something, like she didn't have her sneakers for gym or something, and completely. flipped. out. She absolutely DESTROYED my room, dumped over desks, ripped apart my foam alphabet mat (yes, I took pictures) and tried to lock the door shut by wedging a chair underneath the door handle. (I laugh about all this now!) I removed the rest of the kids, had my aide take them outside and called the principal. He came down and let her have her meltdown because there was NO reasoning with her. While she was melting down, she tried to roll up my red carpet, but the principal was standing on it. The best part of this story is the fact that our six foot tall principal is standing on the carpet, and this tiny second grade girl is literally trying to tear the rug out from under his feet!! (I still laugh thinking about it!)
3) I have a little boy with autism who had a VERY difficult year managing his anger issues. He hit me, punched me, kicked our aide, threw things at me, screamed at me - everything to show he hated me. On the last day of school, he broke down SOBBING and threw himself into my arms, crying "I'm (sob sob) gonna (sob sob) MISS (sob) YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!!"
Linky Party!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining my linky party! Since I teach special ed students who are not able to function in a general classroom, I feel your pain! (especially #2 &#3) I have had so many children with so many meltdowns that I had to start a picture file of damage to the classroom. The worst was the time I had a 4th grader destroy the classroom and climb out of the fire escape window. Thankfully I was able to grab hold of his clothes while hanging half out of the window myself.) But I have found, the students who have the most extreme anger also have the most extreme love for you. They just have a much more difficult time showing the love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, other teachers go through the same things??

    WOW!

    I'm linking up now, wait til you read my story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Karla - we teach the same kind of kids! I love it though and am not sure I'd be able to function as a gen.ed teacher!

    @Rachel - I can't wait to read your story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily I don't have too many behaviour issues in my special ed class but one year was horrible. I'm so glad you survived.

    Mandy
    http://aspecialkindofclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete