Words made famous by one Jessi Spanno - "I'm so excited....I'm so excited....I'm so....SCAREEEED!"
Thats pretty much how I feel today - there's no time! "I don't have time to study, I'll never get into Stanford...I'm so confused!" (ok I'll stop). I feel like it's February and I'm exhausted. It's only Monday! I've been so busy making folder labels for my kids, laminating folders for durability, cutting out said folders, creating anchor charts, laminating anchor charts and making Word Study notebooks! And that's just today. My word study notebooks are done though, which is a good thing. I did a couple of Running Records today and started administering the DSA so hopefully I will have reading groups up and running soon, and Word Study beginning as well.
Here are the notebooks I made for my kids. They are differentiated in 2 levels. My 2nd graders have the blue books. They will be expected to write sentences using their word study words. I will not expect that for my K's and 1's yet.
Basically, my kids follow a weekly routine for Word Study.
Monday: sort your word cards and put away in your envelope
Tuesday: write picture names on cards and sort (for picture sorts)
Wednesday: build, mix and fix with magnet letters
Thursday: write your sort in your notebook, glue the cards into your notebook
Friday: cut out your sort for next week and free word work activity choice
Glued sort goes here. Kids write the sort number at the top.
Sentence pages for 2nd graders.
So that's pretty much it. I can't wait to get it started, because I need to start reading groups soon!!!
On one more note, check the sweet patterning skills of my 21 month old:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I totally laughed at your Jessie Spano rendition. My husband and I are actually watching the seasons of Saved by the Bell on box set and I totally quoted that whole part during the episode.
ReplyDelete