About Me

My photo
I have been teaching for 10 years, all of them in special education. I started as a consultant teacher at 7th grade, and then moved to a self-contained classroom for 4 years. I am now back at the upper levels as a consultant teacher and am looking forward to a new adventure at this grade level.

Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Today was an awesome day!

Today was the 5th day of school and it went so amazingly well, I was beside myself with glee. My trouble-finding friend was fantastic and it felt so good to not be used for target practice! He did not have one meltdown at all, and he did everything that was asked of him. Wow! I spent a lot of time talking to him and preparing him for what his day would look like and what choices he had to make. He ended up on orange for the day and went on a "brag" walk around the school, telling everyone he saw what a good day he'd had. :)

My clipboards needed a new home due to some room rearranging that needed to happen. With the big shelf they were hanging on where it was, I could not reach the SmartBoard comfortably. I had to contort myself into awkward positions to orient it and with my pulled back muscle, it wasn't happenin'.
I got the chance to finally find out what the top of my desk looks like. I made new plan sheets based on one I found on Pinterest and it was so easy to organize my plans for tomorrow. Love it!
I started making some of the adorable anchor charts from a first grade blog that I will find and link to later. I love making these and I work on them during the Quiet 10 while the kids write/draw. Speaking of writers workshop, it has been going so well, I think I might be hallucinating. The kids are writing, drawing and conferencing with me all in 50 minutes and I love it!
I will get to teaching them to use this board for reference sooner or later, I just love how stinking cute it is. I found it on Pinterest but can't recall where I found the posters at the moment. EDIT: Found them!
Lastly I want to share my amazing zebra lunch bag from 31gifts! I went to a party a few weeks ago and OMG I need all of their totes. Their expandable weekender -ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Amazing.
Annnnd because today was so great, I had to top it off with something special, so I made these:
I. KNOW. RIGHT?!?!?!?! I found the recipe on Picky Palate and knew I had to try them. It brought back memories of getting sugar butter m&m cookies from The Original Cookie Co at the mall when I was a kid! These are chocolate chip m&m but still. The dough is HEAVENLY when you taste it raw, and the cookies themselves end up light and DELICIOUS.

2 comments:

  1. Please share, what is the quiet 10???
    Thank you so much for your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the idea from the book No More I'm Done (awesome book, btw.) You turn on classical music for 10 minutes after your mini-lesson and the kids work on a piece. It could be drawing or writing, and even the teachers sit & write. It helps get them focused on what their ideas are. we're still working on the "quiet" part but it's going well so far!

    ReplyDelete