About Me

My photo
I have been teaching for 10 years, all of them in special education. I started as a consultant teacher at 7th grade, and then moved to a self-contained classroom for 4 years. I am now back at the upper levels as a consultant teacher and am looking forward to a new adventure at this grade level.

Blog Archive

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Update

I got an email from my principal last night. The student was suspended for hitting me, and they are looking into getting an aide for him. I'm not sure it will be the solution to all of these problems but hopefully it will help us have some peace and safety.

7 comments:

  1. It is so hard when working with troubled students to find that balance between their right to learn and the peace and safety for the entire class. As a special education teacher I totally understand your feelings and how the student is disrupting the learning of everyone but know that they also have a right to learning for themselves! I struggle with finding that balance and giving enough support to each of my students. I hope it all works out for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! it's hard to remember that sometimes. I think that he needs to learn appropriate school behavior Before even thinking about doing anything academic. Hopefully an aide will help that process. He came from an environment that had extremely low expectations of the kids and hardly any routine at all. I know transitioning to a highly structured routine from that is asking a lot. I really hope having an extra pair of hands will help!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the same position with one of my students (and it is hurting the rest of my students and they are talking about getting me more para support)...so our situations are really A LOT alike...Do you know what is triggering his bad behaviors (escape/avoidance of tasks, boredom, attention, etc)? Mine is escape/avoidance...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Attention, boredom, Avoidance, all of the above. Yesterday he smacked me in the face bc I turned my attention to another student.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!!!!! I am so sorry:( Mine at least isn't abusive....just swears worse than a sailor so my other students can't be in the room:( Attention is the worst cause you can't ignore THAT terrible of behavior. AHH!!! My thoughts and prayers will stay with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totes feel ya on this one. I've got a kiddo reduced to half days and is still having HUGE meltdowns daily. I have to clear my classroom and all that jazz. no fun.

    ReplyDelete