We have done all our Valentines activities and have decorated the hall. All we are going to do tomorrow is have a party with cookies and juice! I like to not make a big deal out of days like this since they're all wired anyway! We have been working on a lot of big concepts over the last few days, and I am beyond looking forward to break next week. I wish we were going away, but time at home is good enough for me!
'
My 2nd graders have been learning subtraction with regrouping, or as I like to call it, borrowing. I hate that we have changed the name, since my parents understand the terminology of "borrowing" instead of regrouping! They have also been working on writing non-fiction and we are going to start a research project after break. Right now I am having them think about topics they want to learn more about. I am using the Lucy Calkins texts to frame my instruction, and while I'm STILL not a fan of hers, I find some of the pieces useful.
My first grader is working on numbers 11-20 and skip counting. He misses a lot of writing instruction due to his ESL services so I try to get a lot in during guided reading. He also gets a lot from writing the room. He's doing really well in reading and is working on covering those confusing endings on words. His behavior has gotten SO much better, and he is so much more independent than he was last year and the beginning of this year. I am very proud of his growth so far - I like to think it was because of me! :)
Anyways, here's a little collage of what we have done for Valentine's day. Tomorrow we are making stained glass hearts and having cookies and punch! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I totally know what you mean about "borrowing" vs. "regrouping"! I do the same thing as many parents know it as borrowing! Also who decided that regrouping was for both addition and subtraction! When we start 2digit subtraction, I have kids who will regroup as they are adding b/c that's what we learned first and it's so confusing! I wish there were 2 different terms to help them a little more.
ReplyDeleteAs for your low key Valentine's day--I wish ours was a little more low key. Our district gives us 1 party a year and it was decided that Valentine's day would be that party! So it's a big deal for us! I'm going to bed early tonight! :)
Stacee