About Me

My photo
I have been teaching for 10 years, all of them in special education. I started as a consultant teacher at 7th grade, and then moved to a self-contained classroom for 4 years. I am now back at the upper levels as a consultant teacher and am looking forward to a new adventure at this grade level.

Blog Archive

Monday, April 9, 2012

Split Class Linky Party!

Christina Bainbridge is having a linky party to share tips for teachers who have several grade levels in 1 room. My room is set up to be a K-2 room but my K's left me so I only teach 1st and 2nd right now. I don't pretend I know what's going on and how to run a multi-age room but what I do seems to be working very well.

  • I have an aide, which is the first part of why my classroom runs smoothly. My kids COULD be independent if they were confident enough in their abilities, but since the first words out of their mouths are usually, "I can't, this is too hard" before they realize what they need to do, she is there to help them out. 
  • I do leveled guided reading after a whole group reading strategy lesson. The rest of reading time is differentiated according to their Word Sorts & More word sort levels and the books in their book boxes are at their level.
  • Science/Social Studies are done whole group.
  • Math is done in rotations. I work with 1 grade level while the other does Xtramath on the computer, and a math tub. Then they switch. With 3 groups I have to be more structured with it and keep each group to 15 minute limit, but with 2 it's way easier. 
  • My kids go to specials with another 1st grade class which helps them get used to the integrated setting and develop friendships outside of our room. 
Enjoy and link up with Christina if you teach a variety of grade levels in your room! 

4 comments:

  1. I wish I did guided reading! I think it would make my literacy block easier... and the independence/confidence level in my class is low as well. The few times that I've had an extra adult, I've been amazed at how much more I can concentrate on what I'm teaching instead of trying to police everybody! :)

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the "I can't!" a lot in my room, too. I think it's pretty common in the sped world - almost a self-fulfilling prophecy/learned helplessness type of thing. I've turned "can't" into a naughty word in our class - I tell my students that I will never ask them to do something they absolutely cannot do (they think it's hilarious when I say if I ever tell them to grow wings and fly like a bird they are allowed to say "I can't!"). They may need to do it in smaller steps, or need help with it, or need to try their best, but never something that is absolutely impossible. We have a litany of alternatives they can say other than "I can't" - "I'll try" or "this is hard!" or "I need help" or "I can do some of it" or "I'll start" are our standards. When someone says "I can't," usually now all I have to say is "did I hear the 'can't' word?" and they will revise what they're saying and usually, their attitude towards the task. They like knowing I'll never give them something impossible to do! I've found just changing our language does help the independence/confidence problem, even if it's just a little bit :)

    Kara
    Spedventures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like I need to have a morning meeting after spring break where we discuss the "can't" word and alternative things to say! Thanks for the comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up!

    Our motto is "Don't say 'I can't', say 'I'll try'!".

    I like the idea of 1st graders going to specials with 1st graders to build those other friendships too. Are your 2nd graders in the room with you at that time?

    :)
    Christina
    Mrs. Bainbridge's Blog

    ReplyDelete