It has been a productive week! I feel like Mother of the Year right now, because my 2 year old hasn't taken a nap in about 3 weeks and she's upstairs snoozing away alone in her room. YES! Party time! And by party time, I mean bloggy time!
I've been to my classroom twice this week and I think I have gotten quite a bit accomplished. Wednesday they surprised me by filling my room with boxes. At first I was excited for presents but then realized it was a whole new math program for the common core. We use Envision and they sent us basically a brand new program. New teachers manuals, new worksheets, new student pages, everything. I like that they have incorporated the common core for me and lightened some of the planning load but I get 3 GRADE LEVELS WORTH of boxes! So I have 15 boxes to try to find storage for. My room has no closets. I made some room on my shelves by getting rid of puzzles that no one uses so some things have been put away but I still have a stress inducing mess.
All new manuals put away into my crates. Some of the units have been re-done and the order has been switched so I have to go through and make my file folders again. Blech.
Stress inducing mess in the corner. I'm getting hives.
Speaking of math, here is my math workshop board. I got the idea from this post on the Clutter Free Classroom blog and just made my own icons to suit my needs. I like how the stations spell out MATH and I like that it includes all ways of learning and practicing math. I have this set up above my math hands on baskets.
I don't have this product posted because I just took an idea and ran with it but if anyone wants it I will check with the CFC blog and see if it is ok to share it. I think she has her setup for sale on her store.
On to reading! My library is a mess. I don't have a lot of books nor a lot of shelves to store books. I bought cheap dishpans at Wal-Mart to store my books since I was using tubs that don't match and that is NOT OK. :)
I do like my simple black and bright labels though. I whipped those up quickly last night. There are only 8 of them and they are available as a freebie on my TN and TPT stores. Click on the banners at the top to go there!
Magazine files to hold their various notebooks since I will not be using seat pockets this year except for ones to hold books. I will be adding a 4th magazine file for their math journals.
My *new* clip chart! I wasn't sure I would like it when I was putting it together but now that I see it on the door, I lurve it. This item is also available for purchase in my TPT/TN stores! Click {here} to get your own copy for your room!
Now for some around the room shots.
View from the door.
View from the back.
View from the front.
Technology board by the computers where I will post directions for logging in, various activities, and student work.
Our kids come to us with various issues involving food, mostly that they won't eat. I want to try to incorporate more nutrition and health topics throughout the year so I got this cute board set from Jo-Ann's.
Reading focus board. I didn't do this on purpose but it ended up that a fiction story map is on the left of the CAFE board and non-fiction text features are on the right. Clearly I am a brilliant board setter-upper.
Calendar and specials and spelling words.
Phew! I feel pretty much done except for tackling the stress inducing mess of math boxes. Other than that I think we're almost ready to go. I still need to fine tune my plans for the first 3 days and other things but I'm liking my progress so far!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So organized!!
ReplyDelete❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher
I appreciate your blog! I AMA sdc k-3 teacher. When I taught gen Ed,I used the clip up and down method w my students but when I Switched to special Ed I worried about them being able to handle the clipping and getting back to work, as well as understanding the moving up and moving down. Forgive the typos, I am using my iPad to comment and it is having issues. Does it work well for you? I would like to switch back. Remember your student you started w last year that tore the room apart (I am pretty sure it was your blog). I was going through the same thing and your posts really helped me. Hopefully we won't start this year that way!
ReplyDeleteOh yes I remember that student. He goes by "he who shall not be named"! :) I'm glad my blog could help you! I hope neither of us have to go through that again in the near future!!
ReplyDelete