About Me

My photo
I have been teaching for 10 years, all of them in special education. I started as a consultant teacher at 7th grade, and then moved to a self-contained classroom for 4 years. I am now back at the upper levels as a consultant teacher and am looking forward to a new adventure at this grade level.

Blog Archive

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Math Ideas! ~ Organization of multi-grade levels!

I don't have many resources to share regarding math ideas but if I find some, I will edit the post and add them!

We use enVision math and it is a brand new resource for our district. I taught all 3 grade levels of it last year, K, 1 and 2 and being in that position really allowed me to see how the lessons spiraled and built upon one another from each grade level to the next. However, teaching 3 grade levels forced me to get organized! Here's what I did.
I got three file folder crates and labeled them k, 1, 2 and created a file folder for EVERY. SINGLE. LESSON. for each grade level in each unit. (Yeah, I did it.) It was a LOT of work but I don't have to do it again next year. In the folders are the masters for the worksheets in the lessons, and the student practice sheets. Then I got a three drawer cart and labeled each drawer K, 1, 2. In the drawers I put the manipulatives necessary for the lessons and the file folder for that lesson. I also created four tubs for each grade level that contain games and activities for the unit/lesson being worked on at that level.
So how did I teach? Small groups, grouped by grade level. My kids rotated through three stations: Tubs, Independent Work and Teacher. EnVision's great because it gives the kids their own accounts on their website, so sometimes I'd switch Tubs to Computers and the kids would go online and complete math activities on the computer. I'd teach the K kids their lesson, then send them off to do Independent Work or Tubs, and I'd bring the first graders over to the table, and so forth. It worked REALLY well and I was very proud of my system that I'd created. I rarely had to get up from the table to get materials since they were all in the 3 drawer cart right next to me. Next year I get a SmartBoard so I probably won't teach at the table for math at all, but we'll see. I still have to figure out how to use the darned thing!!!

1 comment:

  1. 3 grade levels at once! Wow, lotta work!!!
    Thanks for linking up at Math Monday.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete