About Me

My photo
I have been teaching for 10 years, all of them in special education. I started as a consultant teacher at 7th grade, and then moved to a self-contained classroom for 4 years. I am now back at the upper levels as a consultant teacher and am looking forward to a new adventure at this grade level.

Blog Archive

Saturday, August 27, 2011

All done!!!

I went into my classroom today with my husband and got everything FINISHED! Hooray! I even found out the names of my kids! *gasp* I have 6 kids this year, so far. I always get new ones so I'm not feeling bad about preparing for 10. I just made really super cute locker nametags for them and will get all the finishing touches, names-wise put on their things on September 6th when the teachers roll back in. This year I'm assigning each kid a number so they don't fight or argue over things. I've never done that before but I think it will help me keep them in order, like the clipboards and STAR Books. If you do the number system, what tips do you have?
I'm a little nervous because I haven't been able to read their IEP's yet. Usually I have access on IEP Direct but so far - nothing. I know most of them, but there is one that is making me really anxious. He apparently had a 1:1 in preschool, and that was a rough go for him. What happens when they come to me is the aide gets taken away because they feel a self-contained room is enough. Sometimes - it's really not enough support for a child. I really, really hope they didn't take his 1:1 away. Even though I have a behavior aide in the room 24/7, my kids have some extreme behaviors, and she's just one person. She can't be expected to manage ALL of them if they're all melting down. I also manage some of the behaviors but I'm not trained to do restraint or some of the other things she can do with them. We will see how it goes.

Also, I have been thinking about one of my lovelies and his behaviors last year. He really responded to animal contact, so I found a site online called petsintheclassroom.org and you can apply for a grant to adopt an animal for your room! They will give you up to $150 for an animal and the supplies you need! I got approval from my principal and applied for the grant this afternoon! I think a little hamster will really be beneficial/theraputic for my guys. I'm excited!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am also starting numbers this year - I am going to LABEL everything, toothbrushes, crayons, glue sticks, the glue stick lids and everything else!

    I've got three aides in my classroom and sometimes I feel like that is not enough. Have you had the opportunity to be trained in restraints, we call it CPI? I think it is very beneficial.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous...I have 14 kids this year and 6 of them have 1:1 aids but one of them just got cut so I'll only have 5. I know 5 sounds like alot, but it is really isn't enough at all. Good luck to all of us!

    ReplyDelete